Monday, August 18, 2014

Thank you and Goodbye


Five years ago I began writing about athletics, culture and ethics. At the time I served as the Faculty Athletic Representative for the University of Washington and found myself enmeshed in the lives and demands of the extraordinary men and women athletes at the UW. As I worked with them I begin to think hard about the nature of athletics as an endeavor and wondered about its worth and role in American culture.

I began writing to give myself a space to reflect on these issues. I wanted to write in the English essayist tradition. I loved writing about this world of passion and achievement. It offered so many windows into life and its demands and challenges. The world also revealed the undertows of cheating and moral failure that afflict all human achievement.

I loved writing about a wide array of topics that sports opened up. I appreciated the chance to reflect upon these issues in a dialogue with my friends and colleagues as well as the many thoughtful athletes and administrators whom I met through intercollegiate athletes.

I am not a sports writer or commentator but a management and ethics theorist who wrote out of love of what I was doing and thinking about. I was writing essays that tried to find new insight and awareness through reflection on athletic activity.

Athletics and sports manifest as a cyclical world starting anew each competitive season. Each season and each year provide Bach like theme and variations on what has gone before. The structure of many achievements as well as scandals often resemble each other. A good sports writer and commentator like Roger Angell and Frank DeFord finds ways to return and renew their discussions each year even when they have written about the similar points often.

I realized a couple months ago that I had pretty much written what I had to say. Whole new and interesting challenges face the world of competitive athletics as well as the seasonal variations and arc of stories of competitive struggle and achievement as well as tragedy.

Having had my fun and exercised my passion and judgment engaging these topics, I think it is time to say goodbye to folks who have read my essays over the years.

I deeply appreciate the individuals who read them. I deeply appreciate the folks who have contacted me to help further my own thinking on this world. I deeply appreciate the chance to have written about something I care deeply about. Most importantly I appreciate the men and women who participate in this world and lent me time in their lives to listen and learn.

Thanks and goodbye.


Pat Dobel

15 comments:

  1. I hope after some time has passed there will be something more. Maybe a different subject, a different venue; but something more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get with touch with 1-855-637-4055 for a expert psychic readers. I'd enjoy spend a number of time to help inform you information about THE newest no cost divine documentaries web page. I have been previously functioning definitely difficult, thanks for allowing me to mention this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve made some decent points there. I looked on the net for more info about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.
    http://writing-essay24.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe Treatment Center – Alcohol and Drug Treatment is trustable and believable care center. We provide treatments for outpatient and inpatient care. Our treatment is for addictions such as: cocaine, heroin, marijuana, methamphetamine, opiates, eating disorders and much more. Drug additions are a great problem of the whole world. You can better treatment for the addicted people and we give you mother care treatment. For kind information’s you have known more information rehab to grow your consciousness you can visit our website. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. En el sitio web http://littleponyjuegos.com/ encontrará un nuevo juegos, My Little Pony La Magia de la Amistad, lo que ayudará a ser interesante, instructiva y emocionante tiempo libre

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have a great post and i like it . keep it up


    เว็บไซต์คาสิโนออนไลน์ที่ได้คุณภาพอับดับ 1 ของประเทศ
    เป็นเว็บไซต์การพนันออนไลน์ที่มีคนมา สมัคร Gclub Royal1688
    และยังมีเกมส์สล็อตออนไลน์ 1688 slot อีกมากมายให้คุณได้ลอง
    สมัครสมาชิกที่นี่ >>> Gclub Royal1688

    ReplyDelete
  7. เคดิตฟรี สมัคร สล็อต รับ 300 เคดิตฟรี

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think i might be the only one here thet isnt here scamming people, but well it doesnt matter.
    I wanted to tell you that you did a very good job, even helping me 6 years later, and I hope that you are ok.
    Love you, bye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great, thank you so much for sharing such an amazing blog with us. Visit OGEN Infosystem for creative Website Designing, SEO Services and Digital Marketing Company in Delhi.
    Digital Marketing Company in Delhi

    ReplyDelete